Friday 26 August 2016

The Japexican take on Asian Fusion; Red Curry Ceviche.


This one came to me a couple of  years ago, I was living in Asturias, Spain, right in front of the Cantabric sea. I was a little surprised that  even though there was such a broad variety of freshly caught fish, most of the dishes of the region were heavily cooked and more often than not deep fried, don’t get me wrong, I love the Asturian seafood; its hearty, rich and delicious, but sometimes I want my fish to be fresh and spicy.  So, after a visit to the only decent Asian shop in the area and having bought a bunch of goodies, including some nice Red Curry paste, I decided to go to the local fish market and get some beautiful piece of fish. The end result was this; my Red Curry  Ceviche. 

Fancy little ceviche in the shot glasses. 



You will need:

  • Lemons: 2-3 depending on how juicy they are.
  • Clementines: 1-2 depending on the juiciness
  • Orange: 1 big one.
  • Rice Vinegar: About half a cup
  • Onion: Half a medium sized onion, diced
  • Cucumber: One medium sized, diced.
  • Red Curry Paste: A big table spoon (you can make your own if you'd like, but store bought is just fine)
  • Salt and Pepper: Duh!
  • Thai Chilies: Lots or not, depending on how hot you like it.
  • White fish:  Around a kilo should suffice, this time I chose some sexy looking seabass.

Look at that sexy fish.
Let's get to it!

  1. Dice up the fish, some people go for a very small dice, I honestly like them a bit bigger, more on the chunky side, this will give a more interesting texture as the outer layer will cook whilst the inside will remain raw. This is a pretty interesting mix.
  2. Dice the onions and chilies (you can be as adventurous or conservative as you want here) mix with the fish.
  3. Juice the lemons, clementines and orange(s) and mix with the vinegar. Take a good spoonful of red curry and dissolve it. Pour all this liquid on top of the fish and onions and let the acid do its job. The time here can be a little loose, the more time you leave it, the more it will "cook". I would say anywhere between 1 and 5 hours depending the texture you are aiming for.
  4. When you achieved the texture you like, strain most of the "cooking" liquid, crack open the coconut milk and mix with the fish. Add the cucumber.
  5. Correct the seasoning, if it needs more acid squeeze a bit more lemon. More salt, well sprinkle a bit more. You like it spicy? More chili then.
  6. Serve it up, small bowls or even shot glasses are the best option. Some crispy "tostadas" or tortilla chips on the side. You. Are. Welcome.


***Best served with some ice cold beer. Somehow I enjoy ceviches the most when I'm hungover. That's probably my Mexican bit.


Curry paste.

The more chilies the better



No comments:

Post a Comment